Translate

December 18, 2015

Audio Book Recommendation: Bad Feminist


(Click The Picture)


Hello Bookworms,



Today's book is called, Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay. This book is completely different than misadventures of awkward black girl, not trying to compare though, this book is good in its own way. The tone and setting is on the more serious side, I usually listen to audio books in the morning before work or on my way to work, but I wouldn't recommend doing that. She talks about a lot of political and economic topics, such as rape, women's rights,

black rights, and much more. One thing I absolutely do love about this book is how she incorporate other books that are related with her chapters. She tells you the story and gives spoiler alerts, so if you haven't seen or read some of the books or movies she talks about, I wouldn't recommend reading this book first.

This book is good but, wasn't one of my favorites. I agreed with her on some of her views, but this book definitely went in another direction than I thought. Some of her points I thought were very valid like her comment on females who say that they have more male friends than females. Us as females, should try to reach out to each other, and if you can't have a female friend maybe it's you. That's why I came up with that post, Life Lesson: I'm Not Good At Being A Female Friend. Other than that, I guess you could call it a memoir because she does talk about personal things like how she gained a lot of weight and the time she went to fat camp. How she became obsessed with scrabble and goes to touraments with her friends, I thought this book was going to be funny at least, but it wasn't, and not even remotely. What made me even consider this book was the sample on audible, the open line, "I'm not even a feminist, I willingly give head," made me think she was going to talk about some funny stuff. I know, now that I'm an adult and I'm a female I should care about women rights but I never really cared until now. This book opened my eyes to things that I never paid attention to until now, but because the first book was so relatible and humorous this book kind of let me down. I think even if I were to listen to this book before the other one, I probably would've still felt the same way and that's only because I'm very sensitive, so when she talked about certain things I did tear up a little. I remember I was walking to the bus one night, after work and she was talking about the night that some boys lurd her into the woods and raped her. It took all of me not to cry at the bus stop, and I don't like to cry, especially in public!

(Click The Picture)
There are somethings that I never paid attention to, like how women's bodies are for debate when... its our bodies and we should be able to do whatever the hell we want with it. Like I never noticed how private a pregnancy was suppose to be, famous women are always getting pregnant and rather than it being intimate and between the parents, people are always asking questions about the sex of the baby and what they think the mother to be should name HER baby. I thank Roxane Gay, and if I grow up to be a teacher I will make this book a required book for my class because I appreciate her book and what it has to offer, but it's definitely not something that I would pick up one day if I was bored. The next book I'm going to read is How To Be Black by Baratunde Thurston . Hopefully this book is funny and light, until next time




With Love & Sweetness,



No comments: