Translate

February 19, 2016

Audio Book Recommendation-- Self-Inflicted Wounds

(Click the Picture)

Hello Bookworms,


Today's book is, Self-Inflicted Wounds by Aisha Tyler, which is a book about how Aisha Tyler willingly and unwillingly -- more like unknowingly -- hurting herself, let me explain.


This book is not as she says her memoir, but as an example of what not to do. For an example, when she was a kid she use to always get picked on. She was tall, loved being by herself, and was vegan, loved reading books about aliens, and use to go to the library and search for diseases in a really big book. She explains that when growing up you can have only one weird, but having all seven? You were just asking for it. In her book she gives an example of the time kids were around her chanting her spirit name.
Even though this is clearly not her fault she tells you that it was, in fact the things that made her unique, being tall, loving to read books, kids made fun of her for because kids are assholes. I guess it didn't help that when she started school, Aisha told a mean girl what her spirit name was, and the mean girl took it upon herself to tell everyone and thus, had everyone taunting her.


 Click The Picture
Click The Picture
I can relate, one time when I was in high school, I had this certain female friend who was really the anti-christ, or more like Satan's birth child, that I thought was my best friend. I don't remember how we came about the conversation, but I told her that when I was a kid some boy called me fat Albert -- I don't know why this idiot boy said that maybe because he had a crush on me. I went to a vocational school and was majoring in Information Systems, we were assigned to make our own year book so when we looked back, we could see how far we developed. Her part was to take a picture of us and edit it into something else, when the teacher went through our part on the projector screen, there it was; my face cut out on fat Albert's body. I did it to myself, I shouldn't have told her that information, especially since days before she was doing some funny business behind my back -- by funny, I mean talking to my then, boyfriend, at the time. I should've known better then to give her the upper hand over me, and that's what this book teaches you.

I love this book because she gives you quotes from inspirational people and then below it gives you her personal quote like; “It is through being wounded that power grows and can, in the end, become tremendous.”—FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE “Holy crap that fucking hurt.”—AISHA TYLER (Chapter 1)


The more you read this book the better it gets, I like the story of her younger years though, because it reminds me of me, and my mother. Although, my mother would never give me money to go out and ask a boy on a date or let me ride on a motorcycle, let alone own a motorcycle, the part about being focused on school and single parenting and trying to raise a daughter, was very relatable. I like how she's not the typical "girl", she loved reading, love words -- she uses a lot of big words in this book -- and love to be a bad ass.


Thanks once again for tuning into this book recommendation, the next book is, Breaking All My Rules by Trice Hickman. So until next time ❤




With Love & Sweetness,


No comments: